[discuss] BR meeting site launched

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Jan 15 14:43:39 UTC 2014

Hi,

I agree with this.  But perhaps go further.

I am rather shocked at the inaction of the /1net-sc.  They were chosen
and with very few dissenting voices (there are always a very few
dissenting voices - often I am one of them) charged with working with
CGI.etc on the rest of the issues.

Issues like determining how to handle CI's request; e.g. judging the
degree to which this was a valid claim and if valid doing something to
ameliorate.  And yes, that amelioration would require consultation with
the discuss list and with those who made the original recommendations.
They need to clarify issues of inclusiveness.  And they need to at least
respond to a request indicating the process they intend to follow.  It
is what steering committees do.

Issues like organizing the efforts moving forward.  For example, I
thought there was a rough consensus that they were going to be the
responsible ones in terms of non-governmental particpation for the
Brazil meeting.  Yes they were going to discuss these issues with this
discuss list but they were going to steer and get things done.

Yet now one of their number writes and say: Oh no, it is not us.  Sure
they should be upset if the site was changed without consulting them,
but not because it says they are now the point of contact.  If they
aren't, then what does it mean to be a steering committee.

Please don't dither this opportunity away!

avri