[discuss] Interesting article

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Jan 15 16:46:38 UTC 2014

In message
<2CFA03BA9889274B88587EE2DF303C8207163E56A6 at CBIvEXMB05DC.cov.com>, at
10:11:02 on Wed, 15 Jan 2014, "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette at cov.com>
writes

>I think this may be the document you're referencing.

[ICANN _ Archives _ President's Strategy Committee.pdf]

No, I've never seen that before.

It's more of a discussion on one small aspect (legal immunity) than the
wider exploration of things like employee contracts, tax and benefits -
which was why I mentioned it in the first place.

But now we have that document on the table, I was intrigued by para 5
(which seems to sum up quite a bit of the disbelief held by ordinary
users):

        5. For the record it is also important for me to state that
        already in my initial contacts with Mr Twomey I mentioned my
        first reaction (at the time when I was the Legal Counsel of the
        United Nations) to the question of governance of the Internet.

        I was actually quite taken aback that States did not join hands
        to govern the Internet as they had done in the past every time a
        major system for communications had been invented (post,
        telegraph, telephone, communications by road, rail, sea, air,
        etc.)

--
Roland Perry