[discuss] 1Net, Brazil and other RE: BR meeting site launched

Robert Guerra rguerra at privaterra.org
Wed Jan 15 16:50:12 UTC 2014

+1

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 15, 2014, at 3:34 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

  Vladimir:

Tacitly, I have already given you my answer to this in the message that
appeared 30 minutes earlier; however, let me address your questions
directly:

1.       How do you see the role and potentials of 1Net? What should be its
task in a wider IG context?

1net has no real task in a “wider IG context.” Nor was it created to fund
medical research to cure cancer, to run a film festival or to write a
philosophical treatise. 1net was created with the specific purpose of
coordinating and mobilizing non-state actor input and representation in the
Brazil meeting. That is the only reason many of us are participating in it.
We do not need and do not want yet another email list or yet another IG
organization aside from that task. Performing the Brazil meeting
preparatory role will be a full time task and I think I speak for a lot of
people in academia and civil society when I say that we will be very
disappointed if you fail to perform that task properly and spend the next
two months ruminating about your “role.”

2.       What should be the role of 1Net towards major IG fora - IGF,
ICANN, ITU, and other?

No role. See above.

3.       What relation should 1Net have with the Brazil meeting?

You should fulfill the responsibilities outlined in the news release from
the Brazilian organizers. That is not a “suggestion” - it is your only
reason for existence. To ask whether or not 1net should be a partner in the
preparation of the Brazil meeting is like someone elected to the U.S.
Congress turning to his constituents and asking whether he should be a
supreme court judge or a medical doctor or an astronaut.  Where did you get
the idea that the 1net coordinating committee was appointed for no specific
reason and should sit around and define its own role?

Milton L Mueller

Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies

Internet Governance Project

http://internetgovernance.org