[discuss] Who is responsible for security

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Thu Jan 16 21:22:45 UTC 2014

On Jan 14, 2014, at 9:47 AM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. I trust the companies that design locks not to sell the keys to
> third parties, I trust my locksmith to install the lock correctly
> on my door, but it's my job to ensure that my house has a stout
> lock and that I remember to lock it. If I am a shopkeeper, the same
> applies to my shop.

Indeed.

> There is certainly a responsibility on vendors and service providers,
> but that does not relieve the responsibility of individuals and
> small businesses.

Agreed.

Of course, those individuals and businesses would also expect that their government
would live up to _its_ responsibilities, i.e. if there were multiple armies of little
physical robots moving from home to home searching for entry via unlocked windows, doors,
vents, and chimneys so that they can steal from within, you'd better believe that the
public outrage and demand for action to shut these swarms down would be overwhelming...

Security definitely starts with the individual, but that does not mean that there are
not public policy obligations involved as well.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimer:  My views alone.