[discuss] Options for root zone (was Re: Interesting article)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jan 17 04:12:50 UTC 2014

On Friday 17 January 2014 12:33 AM, Ian Peter wrote:
> Not the point Jorge - read the article linked below where this
> question is addressed in the opening paragraphs. It doesn't matter -
> the fact is,the control exists  and that is widely seen as problematic
> and unilateral control. ICANN will not be trusted internationally
> until this is fixed (and the suggestions in this article towards
> diplomatic immunity for the root zone would be one way to achieve this).

As the name indicates, diplomatic immunity is for diplomats. And it is
under a specific international convention. Root server immunity would
need to be designed differently, and again under an international
agreement. We may beat about the bush as long as we wish to, but there
is no alternative to the 'international agreement' route..

parminder