[discuss] Options for root zone (was Re: Interesting article)

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 06:20:04 UTC 2014

sent from Google nexus 4
On 17 Jan 2014 05:56, "Jorge Amodio" <jmamodio at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can make a very long list of places where people leave their house
doors open, so your analogy does not make any sense.

Okay how about a country living fine on agriculture, then discovered crude
oil; Without thinking futuristic to imagine how the wealth from crude could
transform them, they moved into oil production and soon there came a
generation that took advantage of no functional restrictions to embezzling
crude wealth thereby creating a corrupt but yet wealthy country. By that
time, All efforts to create a functional restriction were impossible
because the current generation will not allow it fly.
So it may not be an issue now, however the wealth around internet cannot be
overemphasised and an ambitious govt could maximise such an avenue with all
possible means including the control.

> Has the public trust being diminished given the pervasive surveillance
revelations ? Yes.

+1

> Is not being disrespectful and I really don't care if it is the US, the
UK, the green people from Mars. The system has been working and there are
no indications that it will not continue to do so.

See my comment/analogy above

> Now can we make improvements to the model ? yes, if there are any broken
pieces can we fix them ? yes.

A model does not need to be broken before it is fixed, perhaps I should use
a different word; updated/reviewed

> The issue is that you are trying to justify the need for a solution to a
problem that does not exist.

How about there is no problem, there is only a concern which should be
given attention.

> And to be frank talking about arguments, I'm getting sick tired of the
"highly over-used argument" of "bad US, bad US"

Have you also wondered why it's difficult for US to release on it's grip?
And then channel it's strength towards ensuring ICANN is the one stop to
root zone authorisation. Perhaps because internet was their project...but
hey it's now a world project :)

Cheers!
> Regards
> Jorge
>

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:16 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>
wrote:

>> On Thursday 16 January 2014 03:52 PM, Jorge Amodio wrote:
>>>
>>> Under the current architecture and state of affairs tell me at least
one instance in the 30+ years of existence of the DNS where the USG has
used or threaten to use it's alleged "control" of the root zone.

>> One doesnt leave ones house unlocked, even re checking a few times, just
because there has not been a proven case of attempted burglary on the house
in the last 30+ years....Frankly, I find this highly over-used argument of
'US has never done it' rather facile and hollow, apart from being very
disrespectful of other countries.