[discuss] Options for root zone

Mike Roberts mmr at darwin.ptvy.ca.us
Fri Jan 17 23:12:11 UTC 2014

This discussion could benefit from a somewhat broader  and more substantive perspective.

(1) In the early ICANN days, before gTLD expansion became a reality, questions revolved around whether countries should or should not be in the root.  Jon Postel fervently did NOT want to be in a decision loop on this subject, and deferred to the UN postal code table for guidance.  ICANN's Board felt as Jon did; this was a subject on which the UN should/would have the final word.

In the entire existence of the DNS, there has never been an occasion in which Postel or ICANN entertained the notion of unilaterally adding or dropping a country's name servers from the root.  The UN holds sway in this area, and always has.  If there are genuine issues, they lie outside of ICANN.

(2) A related, but lesser, question arose when there were issues of the validity of a claim by an in-country entity that it fairly and equitably represented the interests of the country in question and should have its name servers entered in the root.  ICANN's response to this type of issue was to tell any warring parties to settle their differences, and oh by the way, get your governmental authorities to vouch for you.  An imperfect solution?  Yes, but certainly superior to an ICANN effort to pick a winner.  Again, if there are issues here, they lie outside of ICANN, and probably outside of Internet Governance as well.

(3) The next issue arose over the fairness and procedural adequacy of ICANN's process for granting entry to the root for new gTLDs.  This is well documented in the files and apart from the usual sore loser problem, the results were viewed as fair by the community, although ICANN was roundly criticized for limiting the number of new entries so severely.  Continuing debate over this issue lead ultimately to the long and involved process that is placing thousands of new entries in the root now.  Half a dozen years and thousands of pages of on-the-record deliberations later, we have extensive guidance which is being followed by ICANN to the best of its ability, with a lot of back benchers adding commentary daily.  Would yet another round of "consultation" improve things?   Not very likely.

(4) The day to day operations of the several hundred root servers are essentially lodged in the hands of the Internet technical community.  Over the years, no credible source has ever impugned the integrity or efficacy of any of the root operators or technical experts who have collaborated with them, as in the case of Anycast, etc.  Does it need oversight or governance?  I dearly hope not, for the sanity of everyone involved.

(5)  The "approval" of entries to the root, which is covered by a Cooperative Agreement (contract) between the Department of Commerce and Verisign, is an historical artifact that serves no useful purpose today but was, and perhaps still is, a matter of potentially complex legal dispute between Verisign and the U.S. Government if anyone chooses to challenge it, which is extremely unlikely.   The USG, as a founder, signatory, and Security Council member of the UN, would hardly act unilaterally to not fulfill a UN decision on what is a country entitled to a place in the root.  It is hard to see this as an IG issue except to very small minds.

(6)  As a forum for settling contentious issues arising in the evolution of the Internet, there have been calls since ICANN's inception for oversight and review.  The organization is drowning in second guessing.  Those who would propose a new layer of oversight should be obligated to identify the layer to be removed first.

I hope this adds a little substance to what can otherwise become an overly abstract debate.

- Mike