[discuss] [bestbits] Representative Multistakeholder model validity

Mike Roberts mmr at darwin.ptvy.ca.us
Sat Jan 18 23:07:08 UTC 2014

This is an excellent post and a thread well worth pursuing.

The original Postel model of Support Organizations for developing DNS policy was based on the notion that there were distinct competencies that needed to be represented and heard by the Board.  This arrangement departed from the usual corporate model of committees to deal with policy by populating the SO's primarily with individuals from existing interest groups, a number of which had their origins in the combative discussions in 94-96 over expansion of the TLD space.

There have been policy successes associated with the SO model, now transmuted into the Multistakeholder model, and many failures. Jeanette describes some of the causes below.

ICANN outreach over the years has emphasized a big tent, inclusive approach, but, as many have pointed out, it is one thing to declare a big tent, and another to realize its benefits.

The minimum threshold for the [effective] stakeholder participation which ICANN has sought seems to include: expert knowledge of and interest in DNS issues; generous amounts of time to analyze matters working their way through ICANN policy development; and fairly generous funding to support face to face participation in the global ICANN meetings where most issues are decided.  The number of individuals who meet this threshold is, not surprisingly, small.  Perhaps not small by comparison to established technology policy processes, but certainly small by comparison to the billion plus Internet users.

After the fall of the Soviet Union, there was a period of triumphalism about the virtues of democracy and free markets.  Even the "End of History."  Sadly, the ensuing years have demonstrated the many failures of both latter day democracies and latter day free market capitalism.

Which brings us to the issue of what standard of representative democracy (for which multistakeholderism is a proxy) should be applied to IG and the I* organizations generally?

Jeanette posits, "The open question to me is about functional equivalents to representation…"   That seems to me to be a good place to start.

- Mike