[discuss] Options for root zone

S Moonesamy sm+1net at elandsys.com
Sun Jan 19 14:11:42 UTC 2014

Hi Louis,
At 19:23 18-01-2014, Louis Pouzin (well) wrote:
>Very possible. There are thousands of fonts, and
>one can always pick one that creates confusion.

Yes.

>The arial font I use, a very common one, might
>be confusing with small printing, where 6r looks
>a bit like áã, but not with br. Neither
>brazilians nor bulgarians would confuse áã with
>br. They can distinguish a bee from a wasp. Like
>beauty, similariity is in the eyes of the beholder.

[snip]

>It is normal for users to view ccTLD's from
>their national context, regardless of the local
>scripts they use. As ICANN was unable to change
>its US-ASCII centric fixation the design was botched.

There is a few reports relating to IDNs, e.g.
http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/fast-track-review-summary-comments-18feb11-en.pdf
,
http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2011/11369-cyrillic-vip-issues.pdf
The question of visual similarity is
subjective.  There is also, as mentioned above,
the national context where users may be familiar
with a script to make the distinction which, for
example, I would not be able to make.  This is
the type of problem which turns into a political issue.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy