[discuss] Problem statement P1

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Jan 20 19:17:37 UTC 2014

John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2014, at 8:00 AM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
> >> I would argue that both issues would need to be addressed to
> >> satisfy many in the international community, but that does not
> >> mean that they are the same problem, only that they are
> >> interrelated.  Reinforcing this belief, I can readily envision
> >> potential solutions which are only applicable to "US Government
> >> involvement in IANA root zone functions" and others which are only
> >> applicable to "US Government involvement in DNS root zone
> >> maintenance", and hence would recommend bifurcating the problem
> >> statement into two and focusing on the IANA root zone aspects
> >> first.
> >
> > A third, distinct and also interrelated issue is that of the IANA
> > function contractor being subject to US law.
>
> Norbert -
>
>   Can you suggest changes to the problem statement to incorporate
> this issue? (or are you suggesting that there should be a third
> problem statement?)

Maybe add after "2." and before "3.* the following:

2a. It has been a requirement for the contractor providing the IANA
function to be a US organization, resulting in the provision of the
IANA function being subject to US law (including future changes) and
the decisions of the US judiciary.

Greetings,
Norbert