[discuss] Should the 1net discussion be split into two (or more) lists?

Peter H. Hellmonds peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu
Mon Jan 20 23:44:30 UTC 2014

George,

thank you for your suggestion as obvious we have a lot of traffic on
this list. It reminds me of good old Usent newsgroups during heated times.

However, IMHO this idea of splitting the list may not be such a good
idea after all.

We could end up dividing discussions between representation and
technical issues, which may be intended by the way you describe the
setup. But this could also mean that one group decides to not get
involved to even see the arguments presented in the other sub-list.
However, I do see benefit for all to listen to both groups of arguments.
And if some topic would be relevant to both sub-lists, we might end up
with twice the mails if people on both sub-lists would decide to
cross-post, as has happened with other external lists.

Keeping the amount of traffic as high as it is right now might
discourage some from following the discussions on this list, but Avri
has pointed out a possible solution, i.e. that one could simply use a
filter to throw certain messages into a bit-bucket (e.g. folder:
discuss-read-later) based on some keywords.

May I further suggest that we all do *not* simply hit the "Reply to all
plus list" button without consideration, but make sure to put in a
marker into the beginning of the subject line that reflects the topic
area, e.g. "MS REP: how to chose reps from various multi-stakeholder
groups" and "IG TECH: IPv6 and privacy considerations". If we would have
some discipline and guidance from a list care-taker (to avoid the term
moderator), we might get along just fine. (ok, agreed, that is a big
*IF* :-) )

Just my 2 cents. (I'll happily go along if the majority decides to split.)

-- Peter

On 19/01/2014 16:07, George Sadowsky wrote:
[...]
> So I propose considering
> to split this list into two lists:
>
> *_1net-representation_* will be devoted to issues of representation that
> concern us.  It should be oriented toward the makeup of 1net and other
> groups that claim to focus on Internet governance issues.
[...]
> *_1-net solutions_* will be devoted to the issues in Internet governance
> that concern us.  It should be oriented to problem statements,
> descriptions of possible solutions, technical assessments, and
> implications of proposed modifications in the structure and distribution
> of responsibilities within the Internet administrative and technical
> ecosystem.
[...]

--
Peter H. Hellmonds