[discuss] Snowden Revelations: What concrete activities were revealed that led us here?

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Tue Jan 21 06:30:15 UTC 2014

Jorge,

This is what I’ve come to  suspect, but I don’t want to jump to conclusions.  So, I’m looking for some concrete facts and connections to see if I can make the “If Snowden, then Montevideo” logic less of a leap.

As for  “due process, accountability and oversight,“ there may be very significant issues with each of these and the US surveillance program (though I suspect that this could be said about most if not all national surveillance programs, to a greater or lesser extent).  These may be profound multilateral  issues, but they are only IG issues to the extent that lack of same allowed the US to use its “special relationship” to the Internet to its advantage.

Greg

From: Jorge Amodio [mailto:jmamodio at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:33 AM
To: Shatan, Gregory S.
Cc: discuss at 1net.org
Subject: Re: [discuss] Snowden Revelations: What concrete activities were revealed that led us here?

I think the biggest issue is not what the USG is doing or can do but the lack of proper due process, accountability and oversight, which 1net, the meeting in BR, the UN, etc, has no means to correct.

The revelations of the US spying particularly on BR an DE, shifted the bilateral ball game into a "multilateral" effort to counter those actions and we are being dragged into a proxy fight where we don't belong.

-Jorge

* * *

This E-mail, along with any attachments, is considered confidential and may well be legally privileged. If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you for your cooperation.

* * *

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we inform you that, unless otherwise indicated in writing, any U.S. Federal tax advice contained in this communication  (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (1) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state and local provisions or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

Disclaimer Version RS.US.20.10.00