[discuss] ICANN & "security of the DNS" (was: cgi.br release regarding Brazil Global MSM on Internet Governance)

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 07:22:35 UTC 2014

Moon,

there is no confusion here unless you want it.

ICANN has as a core value to preserve the operational SSR and global
interoperability of the Internet,not as its mission. This means that ICANN
must avoid acting, deliberately or by ommission, against these, within its
constrained mission related to coordination of the global DNS, IP address
allocation system, and IETF parameter protocols.

Where it says "assume responsibility for preserving and enhancing" it is
understood that this is in so far as it is fulfilling its mission. The rest
of the report, as you say, supports this reading completely; it was one of
the constant reminders that many of us insist in keeping ICANN
mission-constrained. Follow-up on that report continues to bear fruit
within ICANN. Read the assessment made recently by the ATRT 2 team (ATRT is
Accountability and Transparency Review Team, the way the multistakeholder
mechanism comes to bear on vigilance of the organization.)

SUGGESTED NEXT STEP, option A: continue digging into ICANN-related stuff
and discovering it has been worked out quite exhaustively; option B: find
an Internet governance subject that hasn't and apply some imagination, and
hard work, to it. Maybe worth a session in Brazil?

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

To risk a parallel: you have as a value to preserve life, but your mission
on Earth is not to go save every life at risk - even if you are a beach or
pool lifesaver.

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:55 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+1net at elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
> At 04:10 20-01-2014, David Cake wrote:
>
>> I know the ICANN security functions well (I was part of the Security,
>> Stability and Resiliency review team, chaired by Alejandro Pisanty, that
>> comprehensively reviewed ICANNs performance of those functions). ICANN
>> absolutely is NOT responsible for all Internet security, it is responsible
>> for security of the DNS, but the DNS is not the internet  (and it is
>> absolutely not ICANNs responsibility to secure content carried by other
>> protocols, except in so far as the DNS is part of the security
>> infrastructure). While there are legitimate concerns about privacy and
>> surveillance that are within ICANNs remit, such as increasing demands by
>> law enforcement regarding registrant contact data, ICANNs role being
>> restricted to the DNS means it is simply of very limited relevance to NSA
>> surveillance scandals.
>>

> There is a message from Suzanne Woolf at http://1net-mail.1net.org/
> pipermail/discuss/2014-January/001362.html in response to the above.
>
> I read a report ( http://www.icann.org/en/about/
> aoc-review/ssr/final-report-20jun12-en.pdf ) to try and understand the
> above.  From the report:
>
>   "In its statement of core values, ICANN assumes responsibility not only
> for
>    coordinating the allocation of resources and the operation of the DNS,
> but
>    also for preserving and enhancing the operational stability,
> reliability,
>    security, and global interoperability of the Internet."
>
> I'll note that the text I quoted above might cause the reader to draw an
> incorrect conclusion as it does not reflect what was discussed in the
> report.
>
> Regards,
> S. Moonesamy

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD
+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty