[discuss] Problem statement P1

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Tue Jan 21 07:51:15 UTC 2014

I understand these are facts.  Why are they "issues"?

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at 1net.org [mailto:discuss-bounces at 1net.org] On Behalf Of Norbert Bollow
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 1:00 PM
To: John Curran; discuss at 1net.org
Subject: Re: [discuss] Problem statement P1

Am Mon, 20 Jan 2014 07:45:07 -1000
schrieb John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org>:

> On Jan 19, 2014, at 11:06 AM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org>
> wrote:
> > The USG authorizes changes made to the root zone as well as changes
> > to the root zone's registration (aka "Whois") database by verifying
> > ICANN abides by publicly documented policies prior to the changes
> > being submitted to the Root Zone Maintainer for implementation.
>
> This is a very important distinction which requires consideration with
> respect to the the problem statement.  In particular, there are two
> distinct issues of direct and unique USG involvement with the DNS root
> zone: one via the IANA function contract with ICANN and a completely
> different path via the Root Zone Maintainer process.
>
> I would argue that both issues would need to be addressed to satisfy
> many in the international community, but that does not mean that they
> are the same problem, only that they are interrelated.  Reinforcing
> this belief, I can readily envision potential solutions which are only
> applicable to "US Government involvement in IANA root zone functions"
> and others which are only applicable to "US Government involvement in
> DNS root zone maintenance", and hence would recommend bifurcating the
> problem statement into two and focusing on the IANA root zone aspects
> first.

A third, distinct and also interrelated issue is that of the IANA function contractor being subject to US law.

Greetings,
Norbert

                                                                * * *

This E-mail, along with any attachments, is considered
confidential and may well be legally privileged. If you have received it in
error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us immediately by reply
e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or
use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other
person. Thank you for your cooperation.

                                                                * * *

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we
inform you that, unless otherwise indicated in writing, any U.S. Federal tax
advice contained in this communication  (including any attachments) is not
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (1)
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state
and local provisions or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another
party any tax-related matters addressed herein.
                                                                        Disclaimer Version RS.US.20.10.00