[discuss] Perception, "facts", and solutions (was: Problem definition 1, version 4)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Jan 21 15:14:09 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 07:50:39AM +0000, Shatan, Gregory S. wrote:
> that does not make the statements themselves fact).  We should not
> treat either opinion to be valid (i.e., to have a basis in fact, as
> opposed to perception).

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I agree.  I do believe that we should
address practical problems.  The problem in this case is that other
governments have expressed the concern that they don't trust the US
government to act completely distinterestedly, and that as sovereign
nations they shouldn't have to be subject to the US in this way.  This
is a practical problem insofar as it presents an obstacle to solving
other (in my opinion, more important) practical problems we may have.

Whether the mistrust of the US is based in any actions of the US is
almost beside the point; but in any case, the recent revelations of US
activity (never mind whether every nation capable does or would do
these things too; the point is that the US was caught) has eroded such
trust as there was.  One has to deal with the actual political
realities regardless of "fact, as opposed to perception".

Best regards,

Andrew

--
Andrew Sullivan