[discuss] Perception, "facts", and solutions (was: Problem definition 1, version 4)

Michel Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Tue Jan 21 17:13:46 UTC 2014

Andrew,
The facts are:

1. the NSA has an internal organization and "privacy" problem. How
Snowdenia was even possible? Two options. For Gov professionnals (not
journalists or societal engineers):

1.1. either do not trust the NSA and the USA capacity to protect a
secret. This is  now a dangerous and in any case weak ally.
1.2. or Snowdenia is an USCC (cyber command) operation, Brazil,
China, UK, France, Germany and Russia at least were previously
informed and are partnering into. Its target is to introduce some
common sense in the Congress brains and prepare opinion to their decisions.

2. Snowdenia shows that (1) the state/private digital intelligence
agencies job is far too easy to accomplish and (2) US citizens had no
protection against NSA, i.e. against other digital intelligence
agencies or hacker forces. It means that the US and the rest of the
world is digitally vulnerable.

2.1. The Internet technology must be urgently harden.
2.2. The digital thread on the US, its economy and military stability
has increased.

3. Trust in the US capacity to hold a secret had decreased with
Wikileaks (DoD), the incapacity to protect itself from a Snowdenia
individual or foreign operation, has still decrease for the countries
that have not been informed et proven it was a planned operations.
This commonly accepted distrust as such weakens the State Department
credibility in the world and could affect the world international policy.

4. Trust in the US technological capacity has also decreased. The US
have left the world engage into an unsecure internet while they
themselves used the S/NIPPRNET without passing improvements to the
users. There is an opportunity for Internet industrial developments
in software leaders (Eastern Europe/Russia, China, Brazil, possible
Western Europe).

These are facts from facts.

MG