[discuss] Question

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Jan 22 10:25:33 UTC 2014

Hi Nathalie,

Interesting question. This question is quite similar to the unresolved
problem (in most countries) of unbundling of the fixed broadband
infrastructure at the last mile.

While in (I am not sure if in all) European countries the end user can
choose among several ISPs to provide broadband services through the same
phone line, this is not, for example, the case of Brazil -- where a
protracted public debate on the issue with the local regulator, Anatel,
ended up in nothing, favoring unfortunately the big transnational telcos
who retain the oligopoly of fixed broadband.

If the fixed phone line infrastructure (as it is in the case of Brazil)
is state-owned and temporaly given under a concession contract to an
incumbent under the supervision of the regulator, this problem should
have been solved, but it wasn't in most countries in a similar situation.

Now, if backbone fiber is owned by an incumbent (and not part of a
state-owned asset given for a limited time to an incumbent), there is no
easy solution short of a law or regulation which, based on the fact that
most fiber runs through public land, determines clear unbundling rules.

The legal/regulatory scenario is much worse (for the consumer) in the
case of international fiber running through international waters -- in
which case unbundling rules could be part of an international
convention, I guess. But I am not updated on international regulations
regarding this particular case.

fraternal regards

--c.a.