[discuss] Problem definition 1, version 5

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Jan 22 16:51:03 UTC 2014

At 16:16 22/01/2014, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>Structurally, there are three basic options for getting globalized governance:
>
>1) unilateral globalism, i.e. a single state achieves global
>hegemony (the status quo IANA)
>2) multilateral globalism, i.e., individual nation-states negotiate
>a universal agreement
>3) denationalization, i.e., delegation to a transnational private actor
>
>There are various hybrids of 1) and 2) (e.g., unilateral power could
>be shared with a smaller coalition of states) and various flavors of
>3), but those are the basic choices.
>
>We should be debating which of those 3 structures to start with.

Milton,

Kudos for clearly listing these three options. However, there is also
to decide in which sphere we place ourselves, i.e. what we consider
as a state, i.e. precisely the key problem we currently face: what is
e-sovereignty. Until now, ICANN has followed our 1978 choice of ISO
3166 for the Geosphere. However we have to get real, the real root
system of the Digisphere is not the most used, as Vint once said, but
the most used when all the others have failed - whatever the reason.
One belongs to them which is Vint's root on 4.4.4.4/8.8.4.4.

If sometimes Google Public DNS adds a TLD, that a large part of the
world will be able to use, what will ICANN do?

This is why among IUsers we tend to consider a "state" as an entity
of which the change, changes the state of the digisphere. For years
for example I never have used any other root than my own local root.

Best
jfc