[discuss] Problem definition 1, version 5

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Jan 22 20:28:35 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Oscar A. Robles-Garay [mailto:orobles at nic.mx]

>I don't see (yet) "denationalization" as an option,
>I don't think we have something besides (or parallel) to governments/nations
>that can exert authority (the right to exert violence) over a relationship among individuals.

You're wrong. You have a lot of history to read. There are many examples of nonstate actors governing key sectors, but rather than cite them all I will simply refer you to the White Paper that established ICANN, which actually pledged to denationalize, 15 years ago, or to the RIRs, which you may be associated with. I'd be happy to explain in more detail offline, or I can refer you to Networks and States.