[discuss] P1 version 3: Added detail and a request for useful background information

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 05:42:18 UTC 2014

John,

my read is that Jorge Amodio is making an important point - no matter
whether there be a legal mandate or constraints, positions within the US
like "they will only take the Internet away if it is from my cold dead
fingers" impose a severe constraint on steps toward the different possible
scenarios of internationalization, and they need to be taken into account
in any (re-) design even if they are not being expressed in this
constrained environment.

Further to that read, i will add the view that many interrnationalization
approaches will not be viable if people within the US do not begin to
support them. This means to lobby, picket or whatever is the appropriate
practice, before the government's executive and legislative branches, not
the always close-to-hand ICANN pignata. That would show some real decision
to effect change; beating ICANN yet again is improductive if you don't do
the other side as well.

Scenarios for this happening or not are determinant in delimimting the
solution space for George's Problem 1 however we finesse its formulation.
ARIN, BTW, would be a very credible leader if it chose that course of
action and is not otherwise.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:25 PM, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2014, at 5:50 PM, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don't recall and didn't find any bill enacted as law.
>
> But it depends on how much weight we give to particular resolutions
> approved by the Senate and/or House, like S.323 from the 109th Congress
> which was passed as a simple resolution which is non-binding but a
> statement of position. As far as I remember this particular resolution and
> others quite similar were in reaction to WSIS 2005,
> https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/sres323
>
> While not law, I remember some interesting statements during some hearings
> like in 2009
> http://domainnamewire.com/2009/06/04/congress-beats-up-icann-part-1/
>
> Perhaps some investigation to review and summarize how the US Congress has
> acted overtime about control may be interesting.
>
> I believe that the USG position (and I don't think it changed a bit)
> became quite clear after WCIT12.
>

> Jorge -
>
>     Are you suggesting that the problem should not be worked on, or that
> we need to note
>     that there may be challenges in getting support for any solution that
> is produced?
>
> /John
>
> Disclaimer: My views alone.

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD
+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty