[discuss] CIGI and Chatham House launch Global Commission on Internet Governance - FYI

Michel Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Fri Jan 24 03:25:56 UTC 2014

At 16:36 23/01/2014, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
>Perhaps the reason why technical community prefer to stay within
>their server closets; lots of talking avenues emerging in the IG
>space and i really wonder how practically effective its various
>proceeds will be towards getting things globally implemented on the
>Internet. Especially as it seem the disconnect is getting widened.

Seun,

A simple analysis which might help is that we are talking of
networks. Networks have three main strata:

- hardware and bandwidth;
- software and protocols;
- brainware and languages.

The "technical community" you talk about is most probably the
software and protocols community. The "IG community" is a part of the
common people's brainware and languages community.

The widening disconnect you observe appears to proceed from an
epistemic divide between to brainware functions:

1. to deploy and use real hardware and bandwidth through actual
software and protocols in order to do things better.

2. to imagine and govern a non-existing internet for still
undertermined purpose.

The disconnect is simply that these two functions are theorytically
orthogonal. However, there might be a politcal leak. The question is
how far the second function may pollute the first one.

M G