[discuss] Problem definition 1, version 5

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 15:49:50 UTC 2014

Milton,

it is in the nature of public service to be bound by written as well as
unwritten rules and policies. They go from strict instructions, your work
contract, and other formal rules, to don't-rock-the-boat, esprit de corps
and others.

In this list there are a number of government officials who are painfully
restrained in this way. It is a waste of talent indeed.

OTOH to your perspective: can we add to the governmental participation a
bit of Slaughter's intergovernmental network perspective? (p. 187 of A New
World Order carries the title "Enhancing Cooperation") - these are spaces
where government officials enjoy a bit more latitude and in fact it's very
likely that the GAC is much more than "a body", it is one more node in such
networks. The officials there meet in many other spaces as well: the ITU,
UNESCO, the regional telecommunications organizations, regulators'
networks, etc., which we ignore at our peril in the design or redesign of
organizations.

How would that change or modulate your three models?

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> [...]

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD
+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty