[discuss] Governmental participation (Was: Problem definition 1, v5)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 20:18:37 UTC 2014

On 26/01/2014 05:50, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
> As far as domain names are concerned, internet identifier coordination
> seems to affect trademark rights and would thus justify a role for
> governments beyond a mere informational and collaborative status or do I
> missunderstand you here?

Governments have a role in defining trademark law and possibly
ratifying relevant treaties, and the courts have a role in applying
the law. But I don't see why that gives government a *necessary* role
in implementation of domain name registration.

> When it comes to IP addresses and the RIRs, one could argue that a more
> active involvement of governments could have accelerated the deployment
> of IPv6 addresses.

Addresses are not the problem. IPv6 deployment depends on many
technical and economic factors, which might be subject to government
incentives in countries that do that sort of thing, but address
availability is a red herring.

> I mention this example because I ask myself whether
> issues of effectiveness/efficieny should also play a role when we talk
> about public-private collaboration in IG.

I don't see it. There may be issues of how national economic policies
(or development projects, UNDP etc.) choose to support or incentivise
growth in telecoms infrastructure, but what has that to do with Ig?
(Unless you accept the Laura DeNardis view that anything you can see
is part of Ig.)

    Brian