[discuss] Continuation of problem no. 1 specification, and what could be next steps

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 19:05:04 UTC 2014

On 27/01/2014 06:14, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Hi SM,
>
> That paper is interesting, but both it and your own argument lead me towards the view that this is not a matter of Internet governance at all, but an issue of domestic market (mis)regulation.  I don't see how we can fix that and I'm also not sure it would be correct for us to try.

That's exactly right - this is a battle that was won years ago by
Judge Greene in the US and later by the European Commission and
throughout the OECD. At ITU level the battle was won by the former S-G
Pekka Tarjanne, but of course this was not accepted by all ITU member
states, and it is the states that refused reforms that are now suffering
economic distortions as a result.

It is not an Ig matter, but the Internet community should remind
the world from time to time that the Internet is its victim.

    Brian