[discuss] Real world Impact of multiple roots

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Mon Jan 27 19:51:28 UTC 2014

Multiple IP address spaces which interoperate with the RIR/IANA
address space are dead common.

We call them NATs.

And by and large they are the result of a long-term policy failure
(IPv4 address shortages) so in many ways fulfill what the question is
alluding to (yes I realize one can choose to use NAT as a security
tool but in this context that's boorish.)

But they are not particularly run by roguish elements. They are used
by companies with names like AT&T and NTT for their smart phone and
consumer networks.

So, as I said, not only possible but dead common, probably over a
billion devices exist in an alternate IP address space which
interoperates with the RIR/IANA address space.

As to alternate DNS roots they are simple to set up -- the operational
devils are in the details.

I have one running right here, right now! Had to change two or three
files under bind (DNS server software.)

But since no one cares about it and it's not advertised for any
particular use, it was only my personal experiment, it's not at all
interesting.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada