[discuss] Real world Impact of multiple roots

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Tue Jan 28 19:03:46 UTC 2014

"Not with a bang but a whimper!"

I wasn't joking when I pointed out that the net is already fragmented
with NAT (CGN.)

It's not quite that dramatic because its commercial purpose is to get
everyone inside connected to the outside much like a single, unified
internet might work.

But everyone seems to expect this flag day when someone like the BRICs
announce in all the papers that they are taking their internet and
going home, creating their own root(s).

It's possible but it's only one type of worst-case scenario.

Meanwhile huge multi-billion dollar telecoms continue to build their
fragmented IP spaces.

And, with the end of net neutrality (should it come to pass), probably
DNS space as well.

But they won't stand up in front of the UN or similar and announce
that today they have decided to do this.

They wil just do it, day by day.

People always seem to be looking for the apocalypse or that giant
meteor or all out nuclear war or the barbarian hordes on the horizon
which will wipe out life as we know it in an instant as the seas rise
around them slowly.

I suppose doom prophecies shake the money loose and rally the troops.

But the banality of evil (if it is evil) and all that.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada