[discuss] Real world Impact of multiple roots

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 19:46:07 UTC 2014

On 29/01/2014 05:01, Avri Doria wrote:
> As long as name authorities can be isolated so as to make references globally unique,

Can you explain what that means? As far as I can see, if three naming
authorities are isolated from each other, and all three choose to
create a naming domain called (to take a ridiculous example that surely
nobody would think useful) "xxx", references are no longer guaranteed
to be globally unique. So in fact, the three naming authorities cannot
be isolated; they will need to be locked in a room together, and the
door can only be opened when they have reached an agreement or two of
them are dead.

I suppose this is what MM would call a "bargain among autonomous actors".
The point is that, rhetoric removed, that locked room is the new root.
Or if the dispute ends up in court, the judge is the new root.
It's hard to see how either is particularly better than ICANN.

The alternative - which I took to be the point of this thread -
is three domains all called "xxx", confused users, and very great
expense for technical measures to get around the ambiguity.

  Brian