[discuss] Real world Impact of multiple roots

Michel Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Tue Jan 28 21:19:15 UTC 2014

At 19:31 28/01/2014, Ben fuller wrote:
>The info and debates about root zones can go on, but let me focus
>again on what this will mean to the end user.

It only means who is making money on their name, the services they
get or not when they use their name, what protection they get on it,
at wich cost and hassle, if they can use their language, etc. The
only service domain names offer today is to permit a site to be
called. This is an incredibly reduced set of services if you compare
it with all you can or can be offered to do with "ben fuller".

Corporations like Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. make money on
alternative namespace and roots.

An other example is all the money given to ICANN to reserve some TLD
strings which belong to everyone.

Please note that domain names are the only way for users to directly
interact with the internet system. The way ICANN creates TLD scarcity
to make money impeaches people to use their own language on the internet.

M G