[discuss] IGF -- the right space for discussions about IG

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 29 15:10:52 UTC 2014

This is not to criticize, or negate any other discussions.
BUT, WSIS created IGF as a space that is safe, broad, inclusive, open, ...
In my view, all, [ALL]  need to fully support the role of IGF, and its possible evolutions and enhancements.
Many seem to be thinking that Brazil is a 'solution', or that major changes in ICANN are some solution. Brazil, joined by other countries , and in UN speeches, earlier proposed govt solutions.
 'we' as other stakeholders need to do more work, at all national and regional levels to make sure that what is happening is documented. WSIS + 10, and CSTD WG Enhanced Cooperation are opportunities to identify what has happened, what gaps exists, and what needs to happen next.
I hope all of you are contributing to WSIS + 10, and to CSTD WG EC.
Are improvements needed? Yes/my view.Are there new challenges? YesAre scope and scale, and diversity of Internet's users and technologies changing? and growing: yes.Should we do more, as all IG parties to ensure voice and participation of informed parties from all countries/regions: YES
So, as an IGF supporter, what can we do to address how the IGF can strenthen and support IG understanding, awareness, engagement, effectiveness?

I am committed to what the WSIS Heads of State proposed:  IGF.
And to how we strengthen, evolve, and enhance IGF.
Marilyn Cade