[discuss] We distrust you [wasFwd: Heads up on Brazil meeting preparation]

Michel Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Thu Jan 30 21:52:28 UTC 2014

At 05:40 30/01/2014, Shatan, Gregory S. wrote:
>It seems to me that /1net is two things, which at this point seem
>fairly disconnected:
>
>1.  This discussion forum, which is essentially an online
>marketplace of ideas.
>2.  The Steering Committee and the delegates to Brazil, etc. – many
>of whom do nott participate in the discussion forum at all (kudos to
>those who do, and a couple of aspirin as well).
>
>No. 2 is the /1net that is involved with the Brazil meeting.
>
>No. 1 (all of us) seems to be primarily for the amusement of the
>crowds (again, us), and perhaps a place where we can all run around
>and get tired – as onee would allow a toddler to run around the
>house so they will get tired for their nap.  Of course, there are
>some interesting discussions here, and some functional discussions,
>and some enlightening discussions -- and some that are inane or
>weird or semi-unintelligible.

Gregory,
Your analysis appears to be very pertinent.

 From what I gather this list is the result of a distrust of people
in the US government, in the technology which made the snooping easy,
in the engineers who designed it and the designers who decided of the
architecture. Its impact seems to be the distrust of this list in its
own members.

Many points have been discussed. I feel the key ones were raised in
order to see if someone authoritative or at least representative
would join the debate. No one came up. This means that no one knows
what will be the points discussed in Sao Paulo either because there
will none or because they were decided before by those unknowns
people who are pulling the /1net strings.

The result seems to be a trivialization of the internet where the
true influencers will either/(and?) be
- lead users revisiting the standardizers contribution in order to
empower their fellow end-users.
- the transnational corporations imposing the status quo they need
for their competitive merchandising.

Not so much different from the real life where market (and state)
monopolies do not last very long.
M G