[discuss] Greetings from a new convener !

nathalie coupet nathaliecoupet at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 08:36:59 UTC 2014

Hello,

I've been hearing times and times again that the Internet is working so well, and that we have the Internet we want.
OK. But, I've been traveling all around and am currently in Italy where latency is much greater than in the US where I am based. During my many trips to sub-Saharan Africa, a working Internet is sometimes closer to a miracle than a given.
In Chad, about 2 years ago, the country was deprived of Internet for an entire month because the government couldn't get Orange to pay them a bribe.
YouTube, Netflix and other content services do not work there.
JFC showed us articles about 'experts' calling for an overhaul of the BGP protocol, because middle-man attacks were becoming increasingly easy.
What are the criteria we can use to determine whether the Internet is working well? Is the Internet working well only in some country? And in others not? Are generalizations allowed?

Nathalie Coupet