[discuss] shifts in IANA/accountability discussion: your thoughts?

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Jun 19 19:37:17 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 19-Jun-14 14:43, Barry Shein wrote:

> I believe that any suggestion that the IANA function should be
> transferred to any organization other than ICANN is largely a paper
> tiger.

What I think is critical is that it remain a contract for the function
that can be reviewed and given to another if necessary, for some
definition of necessary.

For now, of course i agree it needs to stay with ICANN, but there should
be periodic reviews and contract renewals if merited.  I think we can
even discuss a presumption of renewal based on good performance, for
some definition of good performance.

What I believe is a non-starter for many, is a contract for the function
in perpetuity.  But certainly the next 2 years at least should be ok -
that should be enough time to get a proper review process in place post
transition.

avri