[discuss] shifts in IANA/accountability discussion: your thoughts?

Joseph Alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Sat Jun 21 09:09:39 UTC 2014

Michel:

What locale do you live in that is free from politicians and lawyers and what infrastructure are you benefitting from to gain access to data or communication that doesn't come at a cost?   We can have philosophical arguments about the social contract or questions about what we may consider to be unalienable rights, but that does not make the reality that infrastructure has costs any less true... A government that wishes to assure citizens access to a resource may do so as a part of the social contract, but that would mean that they would underwrite the cost...  Otherwise how does access occur?  A service that doesn't charge the end user may recoup costs in showing adds, gathering information or developing customer loyalty.  I think we would all agree that those are just costs of a different nature...

Joe

Sent from my iPad