[discuss] shifts in IANA/accountability discussion: your thoughts?

Mike Roberts mmr at darwin.ptvy.ca.us
Sat Jun 21 15:21:06 UTC 2014

Milton’s points are well taken.

I think the distance between commentators on this point is one of solid and dotted lines.  Actually, two sets of them.

It has always been the case that IANA staff have looked to the individual sponsors of their several support activities for guidance.  And, with very few exceptions, ICANN Board and staff have deferred to that guidance.  So, a solid line for policy, subject to dotted line concurrence by ICANN Board.

But, in operational reality, there are disagreements which involve the law and lawyers (and diplomats and governments).  For both convenience and pragmatic reasons, as well as the NTIA contract, ICANN has exercised legal force where necessary - a seldom used power.  In this case, a solid line for dispute resolution, subject to dotted line advice and concurrence by the affected technical community.

- Mike