[discuss] shifts in IANA/accountability discussion: your thoughts?

Michel S. Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Sun Jun 22 15:59:06 UTC 2014

At 17:17 22/06/2014, willi uebelherr wrote:

>Am 06/22/2014 04:48 a.m., schrieb Michel S. Gauthier:
>>At 04:40 22/06/2014, David Conrad wrote:
>>>[1] Full disclosure: in case anyone was unaware,
>>>https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-06-20-en (but I'll not be
>>>a member of ICANN staff until Aug 4).
>>
>>Congratulations from the telepresse team for joining the ICANN VGN HQ.
>>It will not be an easy task to co-assume an US VGN orderly inheritance
>>distribution. A professional was needed: they found a good one. An
>>ICANNer was needed: we observed you were Class 'IN' ("ICANN/NTIA")
>>biased enough.
>>
>>Ir will be interesting to watch your relations with the DNSA initiative
>>aggegation.
>>
>>M S G.
>
>Dear Michel, dear Seun,
>
>you congratulate David for his new job at ICANN.

Willi,

it is likely that ICANN and IETF will die from the NTIA retirement
after the fragmentation of the technology acknowldged by RFC 6852.
This will not happen in one single day with an happy off-the-shelf
replacement since no one prepared it. The ".wine" and ".vin" show how
uncoordinated ICANN is with WTC, WIPO, GAC, users, etc. (Please
consider the DNSA work on the matter http://dnsa.org/index.php/TmTLDs).

We therefore head towards rough times for ICANN until a transition is
completed. It is a good thing to have a professionl at the helm, who
is able to better explain than Steve Crocker or other BoD Members,
and who has good ties with this list.

M S G