[discuss] shifts in IANA/accountability discussion: your thoughts?

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Sun Jun 22 16:46:48 UTC 2014

Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> [2014-06-19 23:16:50 +0100]:
> The overall point is that everything man made has cost associated to it one
> way or the other; it is either paid or paid for.
> So when someone says "internet should be free", I can only hope that he is
> saying "internet cost should be paid FOR by someone else". While also
> indicating the specific person to pay so we go pursuing him/her.

When someone says access to <public utility> should be free, they do not
mean that providing access to <public utility> doesn't cost money (often
borne by taxpayers or corporations).  They mean that access to <public
utility> should be free.

I don't necessarily agree with this viewpoint.  But it doesn't help to
argue whether there are costs associated with <public utility> when no
one is making an argument that there are no costs associate with <public
utility>.

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society