[discuss] FT: France lashes out at internet naming body Icann

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jun 23 03:19:47 UTC 2014

On Monday 23 June 2014 12:54 AM, Barry Shein wrote:
> Not intended as any comment on this particular issue I've long said to
> others involved that one of these days "adults" are going to show up
> at this party.
>
> It looks like it's finally happening.
>
> So much for the wannabe academics, policy wonks, and trust fund babies
> running the show...

Worse is that these 'adults' had been liberally giving out toys and junk
food for a fake kids party going on, in order to keep other adults - the
less resource endowed ones - from calling things to order....

  I must clarify that with adults I do not mean just governments, but
all serious policy actors with some kind of attunement to 'real' public
interest issues and processes; those who can think beyond creating and
sustaining processes and work just for play, and more play..... That is
what the current global IG circus has been reduced to.  History will
record what damage this indulgence of some, unfortunately, at the
bidding of others, has done to the prospects of an Internet for a better
world.

parminder