[discuss] Some more legal tangles for ICANN

manning bill bmanning at isi.edu
Sat Jun 28 10:54:43 UTC 2014

while the one document we have in hand  (listed below)  is just a request for records,   It does highlight a novel point of view of the scope of the entity we call ICANN.
(noting that ICANN can be considered from any number of points of view, ranging from an California Not for Profit, to any/all those who participate as part of the ICANN “community”)

that being said,  this is from the subpoena:

"“ICANN” means the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, the
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (a/k/a/ IANA) and each of the five regional internet
registries, as applicable – AfriNIC (serving Africa), APNIC (serving East Asia and the
Pacific Region), ARIN (serving the United States and Canada), LACNIC (serving Latin
America and much of the Caribbean), and RIPE NCC (serving Europe, the Middle East
and much of the former Soviet Union).”

might reflect a lack of information on the relationships between the RIRs and ICANN.

/bill
Neca eos omnes.  Deus suos agnoscet.