[discuss] Some more legal tangles for ICANN

Nigel Roberts nigel at roberts.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 13:16:25 UTC 2014

Here's another, interesting fact. The database right to the contents of
the ccTLD belongs to the ccTLD manager. That's a matter of statute law
in most of Europe, and probably analogously elsewhere.

Now this will very probably be physically located outside US jurisdiction.

So let us assume

.IR is an asset of MOIS/the Islamic Republic
.IR has a US situs.

therefore (assuming the lawyers find the right target to obtain a
mandatory order against -- which might not be ICANN) it can be ordered
to be transferred to a successful Claimant (Plaintiff) as an asset of
the Defendant.

I think this is relatively uncontroversial. Others may disagree.

But, for a practical matter of enforcement, the registration database is
a different sort of asset, and this is outside the jurisdiction.

Thus, an order may be obtained giving control of .IR, but without the
tools necessary to run it (or even to keep it running, if the zonefile
is also not to be found anywhere within (legal) reach).

Which means all the plaintiffs may obtain would be the ability to turn
it off altogether.

Which, for their purposes, may suffice.

Nigel