[discuss] Second draft - proposed Netmundial submission

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Mon Mar 3 06:52:15 UTC 2014

Ian:

Thank you for this.  It does provide food for thought and discussion.

A couple of thoughts and questions come to mind, and I’d be curious to hear what your or others think.

First, I don’t think it is accurate or supportable to say that the direction you propose has “widespread support” from the “private sector.”  My initial thought is that the private sector is largely unaware of the issue.  To the extent that the private sector is aware of the issue, I think many don’t see the current structure as a problem (and if they do, they may not see ICANN internalization as the solution).  Of course, there are a number of subsectors within the private sector, and opinions may differ within the private sector.

Second, the focus here and elsewhere on “protection of the root zone from political or other improper interference” seems to be overblown.  There don’t seem to be any particular examples of political influence on the root zone (even post-Snowden).  To the extent this is based on vague concerns about “trust” and the US Government, I have seen no evidence of USG interest in (much less incursion into or exploits aimed at) the root.  It seems to me that parties who have long wished to change the current root management scheme have seized on the current climate to try to gain ground, without satisfying any of the leaps of logic needed to get there.

Third, I am curious what you are thinking of when you mention “rogue litigation attacks”.  Are there past or current litigation matters that induced you to include this point?  If not, and it’s just a theoretical possibility, what kind of litigation are you thinking of?  And what constitutes “rogue litigation”?

Finally, by a “legal structure that is robust” against such attacks, are you suggesting an entity that somehow cannot be sued anywhere in the world?  This seems rather dangerous (as well as highly unlikely).  Or is your primary concern/target to move away from the current structure where ICANN is a US corporation and this amenable to suit in the US?

Thanks for considering these points.

Greg Shatan

From: discuss-bounces at 1net.org [mailto:discuss-bounces at 1net.org] On Behalf Of Ian Peter
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2014 6:11 PM
To: Suzanne Woolf; John Curran
Cc: discuss at 1net.org
Subject: [discuss] Second draft - proposed Netmundial submission

Thanks to everyone who has made suggestions about this, both on and off list.
As a result I have made a few changes, as below. I still feel perhaps the best path is for me to submit this as an individual to keep things less complicated, unless there is a strong feeling otherwise. The deadline is March 8.
My main objective here is a roadmap; some simple steps in the right direction that will help to a achieve a good outcome. If this is made too complicated, it will go nowhere. Plenty of time to examine complexities later when we have an agreed path forward.
Here is my proposed new wording. All comments and suggested improvements welcome.

Ian Peter

DRAFT FOLLOWS

Roadmap (and principles) for internalisation of the former  IANA functions under a multistakeholder governance model involving  ICANN and associated technical organisations.

This roadmap concentrates on one internet governance issue only – the future of the IANA functions which have been the subject of much past discussion because current arrangements are seen by many to be outside of the preferred multistakeholder model.

Indeed, IANA itself was established  in an era before most current internet governance institutions (eg ICANN) were in existence. The emergence of a trusted global body to take over these functions was envisaged at the time and this submission suggests that we can now proceed to transfer remaining functions to a multistakeholder model of management.

ROADMAP

This roadmap suggests that the IANA functions, though necessary processes in the secure and authoritative functioning of the Internet, no longer need a separate identity and would more productively merged with similar functions under the auspices of ICANN and associated technical bodies. Subject of course to many concerns about details, this direction appears to have widespread support from governments, civil society, technical community, and private sector.

In order to achieve this desired change efficiently and productively, the following roadmap is proposed.

1.       ICANN should be requested to prepare a proposal for management of the previous IANA functions within the multistakeholder model of internet governance, including among other considerations the following criteria:

(a) protection of the root zone from political or other improper interference;

(b) integrity, stability, continuity, security and robustness of the administration of the root zone;

(c) widespread [international] trust by Internet users in the administration of this function; (d) support of a single unified root zone; and

(e) agreement regarding an accountability mechanism for this function that is broadly accepted as being in the global public interest."
2. Preparation of the proposal should involve discussion with all major stakeholder groups, with a completion timetable for a first draft for discussion at the Internet Governance Forum in Turkey in September 2014.
3. To expedite completion in a timely manner, it is suggested that outside consultants be engaged to prepare the discussion paper (proposal) in consultation with major stakeholders.

4. The solution must have the following characteristics

(a) offers a legal structure that is robust against rogue litigation attacks

(b) is aligned with the Internet technical infrastructure in a way that supports innovative, technology based evolution of the DNS .

(c) is an inclusive model
(d) is a demonstrable improvement on current processes in this area

END DRAFT