[discuss] Roadmap for globalizing IANA

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 18:01:10 UTC 2014

Thanks for your response Milton, my further comments inset
sent from Google nexus 4
kindly excuse brevity and typos.
On 3 Mar 2014 17:39, "Milton L Mueller" <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> Seun,
>
> Good questions, all.
>
> Regarding 1, 2 and 4, we leave that up to the MoU process. The registries
and RS operators will have to work that out.
We could propose what we think is an ideal structure for DNSA, but in
practical reality what matters is what the TLDs will accept, so no point in
going into detail.

Since the registries(and operators) are already part of ICANN structure.
Don't you think ICANN will also be able to perform the role of the DNSA
especially if it now has the enablement by law to do so? I am saying this
because I think the DNSA can just be a department within ICANN instead of
having to setup something new with similar characteristics as ICANN.

> Regarding 3, Yes. However, the contractual terms under which DNSA must
implement ICANN policies would be significant.

A yes here, is also a reason why my comment above is still valid; If DNSA
would only be taking proceed from ICANN (and not from others like ORSN).
Then I think it may be more effective to have a DSNA version under ICANN.

On a lighter note, if not for anything, I will say the few pages writeup
allows one to easily understand and appreciate the problem with the current
structure.

Thanks again

Cheers!

> From: Seun Ojedeji [mailto:seun.ojedeji at gmail.com]
>
> 1. Under what law will the DNS Authority" (DNSA) be established. OR
better put in which country will the not-for-profit be registered?

> 2. Considering the registry to 1vote model of operating the DNSA, how
does that factor out for regions that seem currently underprivileged with
registries?

> 3. From the new structure does it mean DNSA has no right to reject any
change request forwarded to it (so long as it is from(or adheres to) the
ICANN PDP) and also has no right to make any changes that does not
originate OR meet the ICANN PDP requirement?

> 4. What is the internal structure of the DNSA going to look like i.e is
DNSA going to ask registries to contribute expertise to manage the root
maintenance OR they ask another entity to do that and provide oversight
functions?

> Thanks for sharing the document.
>
> Kind Regards
>

> On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all:
>>
>> Today IGP released an innovative proposal to resolve the 15-year
controversy over the United States government's special relationship to the
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
http://www.internetgovernance.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/ICANNreformglobalizingIANAfinal.pdf

>> The proposal, which involves removing root zone management functions
from ICANN and creating an independent and neutral private sector
consortium to take them over, will be presented at the Singapore ICANN
meeting March 21, and has also been submitted to the "NETMundial" Global
Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance in São Paulo,
Brazil, April 23 and 24.

>> We propose four basic principles to guide the reform of the IANA
functions: 1. Keep the IANA function clerical; separate it from policy; 2.
Don't internationalize political oversight: end it; 3. Align incentives to
ensure the accuracy and security of root zone maintenance; 4. De-link
globalization of the IANA function from broader ICANN policy process
reforms. Even if there are quibbles about the details of the proposal, we
look forward to gaining agreement on those principles, and are willing to
entertain any proposals that embody them.