[discuss] Proposal for a 1net statement to NetMundial

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at ccianet.org
Tue Mar 4 08:38:51 UTC 2014

Dear 1net:

While this is a constructive process, it comes far, far too late:

* Many of us have said repeatedly that we need time in order to go back to our organisations to authorise statements before we can be associated with them. There is no possibility we will be able to do that in the time available.
* As the industry participants on the steering committee have repeatedly said, they are not representatives but liaisons and need to be able to go back to their community before major decisions are taken. Whilst CCIA is in the perhaps unique position that three of our members are represented on the steering committee, I’m sure that’s not the case for the vast majority of industry here and I’m sure that even for us, it is necessary for us to go back to the whole membership before signing on to something as high-profile as this is. So, suggesting that the steering committee can commit on behalf of all stakeholders everywhere is simply a non-starter (and I don’t believe industry’s situation is unique, either).

If this had started two weeks ago, it would perhaps have been just enough time - barely - to get the process done. A month ago would have been much better. A matter of days doesn’t begin to be possible. I’ve provided comments to the survey but only in an individual capacity.

I would like to know if there was any advance notice of this? I don’t recall seeing anything on this list (but I do not follow it closely anymore so I might have missed it).

Regards, Nick