[discuss] Root servers yet again (Re: Roadmap for globalizing IANA)

McTim mctimconsulting at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 14:44:11 UTC 2014

Michel,

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 7:26 AM, Michel Gauthier <mg at telepresse.com> wrote:

>  At 10:56 04/03/2014, Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo wrote:
>
> I '+1' every one of David's comments.
>

> This is an exciting things. A fundamental disagreement has arized  between
> the grand parents, parents and childs (cf.Bill Manning). Who is
> authoritative on the children's life?
>
> From what is being said on this list everyone agrees that:

I believe that most people on this list do not agree with your
characterizations below, I for none, do not.

> - parents (ICANN and IANA) can born new childs (TLDs) if the approval of
> grand parents (NTIA and USG).

the NTIA can't not approve new gTLDs, in other words, they must apply the
rubber stamp..

>  - grand-parents make sure that parents raise their children correctly
> (they keep the root in turne with their demands)

There is no mechanism for this to happen, it is prima facie false.

>  - childs do what they want (if they do not bother to ask the parents)
> they declare their own additional nameservers.

TLDs must change NS records via IANA, n'est-ce pas?

rgds,

McTim