[discuss] Survey

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Mar 4 18:59:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 06:42:15PM +0000, Avri Doria wrote:
> I recommend people do it.  And say No and why if that is the way you
> feel.  By giving us a 3 value answer yes, yes/but and no, they have
> neutralized their positions.

I'm sorry, but I could not disagree more strongly.  Junk surveys are
an effective way to trump up mistakes, confusion, nonsense, and even
lies as truth.  This survey was either designed by people who don't
know what they are doing, or else it is an attempt to misrepresent the
opinions of a group.  Bad surveys are _worse_ than no knowledge at
all, because they mislead people into thinking that they know
something.

And the three-way answer is almost impossible to evaluate and is
certainly impossible to analyse numerically, because the middle value
there is effectively uncountable.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com