[discuss] the three orthogonal questions [was Thoughts welcome on proposed Netmundial submission]

Peter Dengate Thrush barrister at chambers.gen.nz
Thu Mar 6 11:31:51 UTC 2014

Milton,
Amongst some otherwise very good points, this one misses the mark
The issue is not removing IANA from ICANN
Its about removing IANA from the USG.

A separated IANA  that is (still) contracted to USG hasn't solved the big issue.

Second, as a matter of practical politics, it will take a New Entity 15 years to engender sufficient trust in its independence, soundness, immunity, freedom from capture etc etc.
That includes at NTIA - which is not going to hand over to a new, untrusted, untested body, with a new board, new staff, new processes...

Better to first transfer IANA responsibility out of USG to ICANN, which is purpose built for the job, already houses the entity physically, and has now ( I submit) established itself as the worthy body to house its responsibility.

That also completes the White Paper Plan - people like to see closure. Everyone can declare victory at that point.

Once IANA is untethered but inside ICANN, with full functional separation from the policy making process, and away from the USG, you begin Stage 2 - which is to your endgame of a structurally separated IANA. Along the way, you work on developing consensus answers to all the accountability/protection/funding/immunity questions you're now getting.

With luck, it will be a 3-5 year project. Count on my help.

regards

Peter