[discuss] Utopia was Re: [] Survey

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Mar 6 16:48:14 UTC 2014

At 09:25 06/03/2014, Matthias C. Kettemann wrote:
>There is, of course, also international law. Some of it in the form
>of conventions, some in the form of custom. Let's not forget about
>this normative order which can greatly influence how international
>actors behave. It is through international law, for example, that we
>can assess the legality of pervasive Internet monitoring; it is
>through international law that we can establish binding rules.

This is why I think all this debates on the internet governance
without a single allusion to the Tallinn Manual (which is not
available for free on the Internet) are irreal.

>I am not saying that all questions will be solved by international
>legal approaches, but we should not completely forget this important
>field in a haze of themis and theory. Let's stay real.

I like the French position because it makes me to think about Grotius
and the debate on free and closed seas, etc.  Have the Law of the
Cyberspace been delayed by the US WCIT position or to the countrary
is Sao Paulo a way to start anew?

The actual question is that anti-Nation-State wants to defend the
idea that the prejudice is against the USG for interfering in the
other nation's domestic and people private business. My understanding
is that they want more to introduce the notion of Personal-State when
relaity inclines to consider relations-states.

I do not know. The main problem we face anyway is that international
laws are between States. And the mood in here is to ban States and
Grotius' Westpahalian States legacy. This is why I feel safer on my
own privateer's VGN.

Cheers!
jfc

PS. IANAL