[discuss] Roadmap for globalizing IANA

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 13:12:36 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2014, at 7:22 AM, Vinay Kesari <vinay.kesari at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > How would you see this scenario playing out, in process terms? What kind
> of selection procedure would DNSA use, considering that most objective
> criteria would automatically favour ICANN since it is the incumbent?
>
> Vinay -
>
>    Thank you for describing this scenario for discussion.
>
>     The technical/clerical DNS registry function to be performed would be
> required by contract
>     to follow policy guidance from DNSA, so any party performing that
> technical/clerical task
>     would have no ability to utilize its own "policy making" apparatus or
> outputs from same...
>     (if I understand Milton and Brenden's proposal correctly...)
>
> While this is also my understanding, it makes me wonder whether the right
terminology between ICANN and DNSA should really be a contract? Since DNSA
does not have any right as an organisation to refuse ICANN's policy
directive relating to root zone management. Wouldn't calling it a contract
mean either party has a choice? especially more on the DNSA as per the
subject matter.

On a lighter note, the fact that DNSA solely answer to ICANN still makes me
ask again whether running the "supposed" role of the DNSA under ICANN will
still not be more efficient?

Cheers!

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*