[discuss] my IANA submission to Brazil

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Mar 7 15:39:45 UTC 2014

Ian
I appreciate your willingness to put forward a specific proposal. We agree that the globalization of ICANN is an area where real progress can be made. Even though your proposal has major structural differences with the IGP proposal, it is good to have alternative models to debate.

At this stage, the only objection I would make to your proposal is the inclusion of this unsubstantiated claim:

>this direction appears to have widespread support from
>governments, civil society, technical community, and private sector.

In conversations around the IGP proposal I have learned that almost everyone I talk to likes the principle of separating the Policy making functions of ICANN from the technical-operational functions of IANA and Verisign. So I question your claim of support for integrating them in ICANN. At any rate, submissions to Netmundial should stick to substantive proposals and not make unsubstantiated claims regarding how much support they have. There is no need to debate how much support these proposals have at this stage, as that should become evident in the meeting.