[discuss] Just Net Coalition contribution on Principles for Netmundial.br

S Moonesamy sm+1net at elandsys.com
Fri Mar 7 18:25:30 UTC 2014

Hi Milton,
At 07:32 07-03-2014, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>Is there any economic evidence for this assertion?

I'll skip the question.

>Also, what about consumers and end users? What if the taxes imposed
>by certain governments are crippling and overly large, and stifle
>commerce and exploit consumers simply to fund corrupt officials?

A government sets the tax rates.  That rate can be overly large; it
can stifle commerce.  It would be a matter for the people being
governed to decide what they want to do about it.

I would not argue that there isn't corruption.  I would not consider
that as an internet problem.

>Crippling tariffs are NOT an unusual occurrence in developing
>countries. This kind of overreaching routinely produces various
>kindsof arbitrage. Undermining the ability of consumers to engage in
>such arbitrage to get needed products and services is not a good thing.

I do not understand how the above can affect a person from a
developed country.  There is an existing venue for discussing about
trade and tariffs.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy