[discuss] Roadmap for globalizing IANA

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Wed Mar 12 12:47:45 UTC 2014

Not quite right.

See below.

Steve

On Mar 12, 2014, at 3:51 AM, Michel Gauthier <mg at telepresse.com> wrote:

> At 21:55 11/03/2014, kurt at kjpritz.com wrote:
>> I haven't seen any comments to this or other lists by TLD operators complaining about IANA performance, citing examples of undue refusal or delay, or recommending that there were specific improvements to be made.
>
> This is because one does not discuss one's birth. The only "service" ICANN offers is to be a smokescreen for the shared USG sovereignty over the IN class zone i.e. to register TLDs. Shared, because there are two authorities able register a TLD:
> - NTIA
> - ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency.

To be a bit more precise, neither of these authorities is able to register a TLD.

NTIA has a contract with ICANN to perform the IANA function.  The IANA function does not include the creation or oversight of the gTLDs.  That function belongs to a different part of ICANN and is governed by the multi-stakeholder policy processes of ICANN.  The part of ICANN that creates a new gTLD sends that information over to the IANA group to put the information into the root zone.

For ccTLDs, the role of the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency is to assign two letter codes to countries and territories.  Creation of a new ccTLD goes through the usual ICANN processes.  By long-standing policy, ccTLDs do indeed take their names from the ISO 3166 list.  That policy, created by Jon Postel long before ICANN was created, solved the problem of choosing a name for a a ccTLD, but the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency does not have the burden or authority to register a TLD.

Steve